CULTURAL IDENTIFICATION


This post is going to be a bit different to my usual posts however; this is something I have wanted to discuss.
I have always gone to a Catholic school for both primary and secondary education, which means I have been bought up around white kids. I am fully Indian and am not ashamed to admit it. Obviously if you’re put in an environment with people of different cultures, you’re bound to pick up some of the same traits such as the music taste, foods and ethics.

My cousins have all grown up in an Asian community so they have other Asian friends and listen to different music to me and watch Bollywood films, which do not interest me. Sometimes this makes me feel uncomfortable because I don’t know what/who they’re talking about because I’m not familiar with the different artists. Due to this, I sometimes feel like I stand out and have often been referred to as a “fake Indian” which I think it ridiculous. Listening to a certain type of music, eating a certain food or watching a certain film doesn’t make me any less / more Indian. 

The colour of my skin doesn’t matter now as much as it used to when I was younger. I remember some very rude kids would call me a p*ki and think that would hurt me. First of all, they were incorrect and second of all, it didn’t hurt me. Now it is extremely rare to hear this form anyone which shows that people are becoming more excepting of others.  

One thing that does bother me is cultural appropriation. I remember when I was younger I used to love getting henna on my hands and I would love to show it off. I remember the kids at school would ask me why I’ve been drawing on my hands with brown pen which didn’t bother me because I knew they didn’t understand what it was. Now people of all cultures wear henna as a fashion statement and this doesn’t bother me but what does is bindis. Now, people wear bindis to festivals as part of fashion however, I feel like if I were to, people would stare and think “typical Indian”. Maybe that’s just my thinking but I used to get teased for wearing them when I was younger and going to a wedding or function, but who knows, maybe peoples views have changed on that too.

I often get asked questions and I am happy to explain and discuss but one question I get asked a lot is:

“Are you going to have an arranged marriage?”
No. My parents had an arranged marriage and so did the majority of my family. To me arranged marriage if very dated and I know my parents don’t want me to have one. I mean the concept isn’t that strange; two people who have never met get introduced purely to see if they want to get married. Obviously they don’t go straight into getting married, they talk for a while, find out about each other and then make their division. However, I feel like in this day and age, people should be able to have the choice to find who they want to marry themselves. I have nothing against arranged marriage but I personally am not going to have one.

I also get asked, “do you have to marry an Indian?” Again, the answer is no. I am very lucky that I have very understanding parents who give me my own freedom and are very accepting. They have told me I can be with anyone I like as long as I am happy. I am very grateful to have the parents I do because I know some Asians have to hide a lot from their parents and that is something I would hate to do.

I feel like have gone off on a rant but I just wanted to share my thoughts. I am proud of my culture and just because I am westernised, it doesn’t make me any less Indian. I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have and would love to hear others thoughts and opinions!

kit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram